Liver plays a vital role in digestion and metabolism. It also considered a primary organ of detoxification as it filters the blood and eliminates toxins from bloodstream as well as processes external compounds like medicines or alcohol. A liver cleanse ensures the optimum health of the organ and promotes proper elimination of toxins for health and longevity of the body.
Here are 5 Auyurvedic herbs recommended to support a liver cleanse.
1. Bhumyamalaki – A classic Ayurvedic herb advised for liver support, its dry, light, bitter, cooling, soothing and cleansing properties help pacify Pitta and Kapha. It also helps cleanse, detoxify and strengthen the liver and the gallbladder.
2. Kutki – Its deep cleansing action has an effect on both liver and gallbladder and promotes healthy liver function and flow of bile. Considered a must-have liver tonic and blood cleanser, Kutki can also balance Pitta and Kapha, while supporting systematic immune function.
3. Guduchi – Guduchi is a powerful detox herb which shows antioxidant properties to help protect liver and kidneys. It is beneficial for cooling, calming and soothing vitiated Pitta, while also being a tri-doshic with equal benefits for Vata, Pitta and Kapha.
4. Amla – Rich in Vitamin C and antioxidants, Amla pacifies aggravated Pitta and helps eliminate excess hear from the digestive tract. It is also considered to support healthy liver cells.
5. Turmeric – Turmeric is highly beneficial for the skin, digestion, liver and brain. It possesses a detoxifying effect that is beneficial for the entire system while also supporting tissues and organs.