Constipation is the inability to evacuate the bowels or the condition wherein the stools become hard to pass. It presents with symptoms like straining during or unable to have a bowel movement, a feeling of incomplete bowel movement and dry, hard and pellet-like stools.
According to Ayurveda, impaired Vata dosha and its cold and dry qualities disturb the colon leading to constipation. Countering the excess vata and restorative measures for the digestive tract using warmth, oil and hydration are the remedies Ayurveda proposes for relief from constipation
Natural remedies for constipation
- Warm fluids – Drink warm and hot fluids to counter Vata’s cold quality. Sip on warm water throughout day or drink herbal tea with ginger.
- Organic oils – Adding oils in diet will help lubricate the tissues and counteract the Vata build-up in the body. Use sesame oil, ghee or olive oil for cooking to promote bowel movement.
- Fruits -Increase the intake of fruits to make use of their fibrous and hydrating properties to pacify Vata. Ripe bananas, apples, soaked raisins and prunes, peaches, etc. will help with the regularity of bowel movements.
- Triphala – The traditional Ayurvedic formula of three fruits support healthy elimination. Take 2 Triphala tablets with a glass of warm water before bed or steep 1 and ½ teaspoons of Triphala powder in warm water for 10 minutes and drink once it is cool.
- Milk and ghee – Drink a cup of boiled milk mixed with a 1 or 2 teaspoons of ghee before going to bed.
- Flaxseeds – Boil a tablespoon of flaxseeds in a cup of water for 2 to 3 minutes and drink it when cool before going to bed.