Ayurveda regards the root cause of all disorders to be poor digestion. The digestive fire or Agni should be strong for effective metabolism and thus to promote overall health. The practice of yoga is considered beneficial for kindling the digestive fire as well as to boost metabolism.
Here is how yoga can effectively improve digestion.
- Stimulates the digestive fire and increases the appetite
- When the yogasanas stretch the body, it massages the abdominal muscles which enhances the functioning of digestive tract.
- Relieves constipation and regulates bowel movement
- Promotes blood circulation to the digestive organs thus improves digestion
- Detoxifies the body and thus prevents indigestion caused by accumulated toxins.
Following are the yogasanas recommended for healthy digestion.
Adho Mukha Svanasana – Also called as downward facing dog pose, this yogasana enables to take deep breaths into the belly which ion exhaling nourishes the intestines.
Parivrtta Trikonasana – This revolved triangle pose involves compressing and releasing the colon which stimulate the elimination of accumulated toxins in the body.
Naukasana – The boat pose strengthens the abdominal muscles and stimulates the intestines which promotes digestion by boosting the secretion of digestive juices.
Pavanmuktasana – The wind-relieving pose strengthens the abdominal muscles and prevents gastrointestinal problems.
Ustrasana – Camel pose stretches the abdomen, stomach and intestines while also providing relief from constipation.
Paschimottasana – When bending forward while seated, a compression occurs on the belly which massages the abdominal muscles. The pose also relieves constipation and provides relief from flatulence.
Ardha Matsyendrasana – The half spinal twist cleanses the digestive system while also helping to improve liver and pancreatic health.