Asthma in Ayurveda
Ayurveda for Asthma
Asthma is a chronic lung disease. Asthma causes your airways to get inflamed and narrow, and it makes it hard to breathe. Severe asthma can cause trouble talking or being active.
There are many types of asthma. Listed below are a few of the most common types:
- Allergic Asthma: Allergic asthma is triggered by inhaled allergens such as dust mites, pet dander, pollen, mould, etc. resulting in asthma symptoms.
- Nocturnal Asthma: In this type of asthma, symptoms worsen at night. The body’s natural sleep cycle may also trigger nocturnal asthma. Triggers that are thought to bring on symptoms at night are heartburn, pet dander and dust mites.
- Occupational Asthma: Occupational asthma is a type of asthma induced by triggers in the workplace, such as dust, dyes, gases and fumes, industrial chemicals, animal proteins, rubber latex and more.
Causes of Asthma
No single reason has been recognized for the cause of asthma. The breathing condition is caused by a variety of factors. These factors include:
- Genetics: A parent with asthma increases the chances of the child getting it too.
- Viral infections: Those prone to viral infections during childhood have more risk of getting asthma.
- Hygiene hypothesis: Babies not exposed sufficiently to good bacteria have weaker immune systems and become more vulnerable to asthma in the later years.
- Allergen exposure: Regular contact with allergens, irritants increases the chances of asthma.
Hemiplegia is the most common presentation of stroke with paralysis affecting face, limbs and trunk on one side.
Symptoms of Asthma
Asthma symptoms may persist regularly or come and go with the season or asthma triggers. Asthma symptoms can include:
- Shortness of breath
- Chest tightness
- Difficulty sleeping due to coughing or wheezing
- A whistling or wheezing sound when breathing
The Ayurvedic Explanation
As per ayurveda, asthma known as shwasa roga is believed to be mainly caused by imbalanced kapha, one of the three energies or doshas (vata, pitta, and kapha) responsible for maintaining the balance of overall health. The aggravation of kapha dosha blocks the flow of air creating spasms in the bronchial area, which causes asthma and wheezing. The ayurvedic treatments for asthma focus on wiping out the kapha lodged in the lungs.
Ayurveda Treatment for Asthma
Ayurveda recommends therapies to clear toxins from the body for effective asthma treatment. Common treatments recommended for asthma are:
It is a medicated purification therapy that uses herbs such as liquorice, sweet flag, and emetic nut to induce therapeutic vomiting. This is done to remove toxins, vitiated doshas especially kapha dosha from the upper gastrointestinal tract.
For virechana herbal medicines are used to force the excretion of impurities that are brought from the cellular level to gut level through the anal route.
It is the process of inducing sweat with the help of steam, generated from medicated herbal decoctions, to dilate the channels of the body and detach toxins from the tissues.
The is no perfect diet for asthma, but these steps may help:
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables: They’re a good source of antioxidants such as beta carotene and vitamins C and E, which may help reduce lung swelling and irritation (inflammation) caused by cell-damaging chemicals known as free radicals.
- Avoid allergy-triggering foods: Allergic food reactions can cause asthma symptoms. In some people, exercising after eating an allergy-causing food leads to asthma symptoms.
- Take in vitamin D: People with more-severe asthma may have low vitamin D levels. Milk, eggs and fish such as salmon all contain vitamin D. Even spending a few minutes outdoors in the sun can increase vitamin D levels.
- Maintain a healthy weight: Being overweight can worsen asthma. Even losing a little weight can improve your symptoms. Learn how to eat right to maintain a healthy weight over the long term.
Ayurveda treatment for Asthma consists of many therapeutic techniques and natural medicines. At Krishnendu Ayurveda, we have a very systematic approach in treating asthma; we plan a customized treatment for each individual which is specific to their symptoms.
“The Procedure like Shashtika shali pinda Sweda, Matra Basti, Shiro Basti, Sarvanga Abhyanga helps in nerve strengthening and increases blood circulation of the affected part, that helps to fasten and progress the movements”.