Stress Relief in Ayurveda
Ayurvedic Treatment for Stress Relief in Kerala, India
Stress is a feeling that’s created when we react to particular events. It’s the body’s way of rising to a challenge and preparing to meet a tough situation with focus, strength, stamina, and heightened alertness.
Everyone experiences stress to some degree. The way you respond to stress, however, makes a big difference to your overall well-being. Sometimes, the best way to manage your stress involves changing your situation. At other times, the best strategy involves changing the way you respond to the situation.
Causes of Stress Relief
The circumstances and pressing factors that cause pressure are known as stressors. We typically consider stressors being negative, for example, a rough relationship or an exhausting job. But anything that puts high demands on you can be stressful and this includes positive events too. Common causes of stress include:
- Major life changes
- Work or school
- Relationship difficulties
- Financial problems
- Being too busy
- Children and family
- Inability to accept uncertainty
- Rigid thinking, lack of flexibility
- Negative self-talk
- Unrealistic expectations / perfectionism
Hemiplegia is the most common presentation of stroke with paralysis affecting face, limbs and trunk on one side.
Symptoms of Stress Relief
Stress that is not controlled and continues for a long period can cause several psychological and physical symptoms, such as:
- Sleep disturbances
- Difficulty concentrating
- Lack of confidence
- Difficulty relaxing
- Difficulty with decision making
- Muscle tension and pain
- Low energy
- Nervous twitches or muscle spasms
- Changes in appetite
- Decreased sexual function
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing.
The Ayurvedic Explanation
Ayurveda recognizes stress as the cause of numerous diseases. The stress is known as sahasa in ayurveda. Sahasa by causing ojahksaya (loss of immunity) increases the susceptibility of the body to various diseases. Avoidance of stress is the best strategy for treatment and where it is not possible, the body should be well protected by taking appropriate care of the diet and sleep, sleep here indicates adequate rest required by the body.
Ayurveda Treatment for Stress
General stress management therapy suggested for stress relief in ayurveda are:
It is the process of inducing sweat with the help of steam, generated from medicated herbal decoctions, to dilate the channels of the body and detach toxins from the tissues.
Abhyangam is the application of oil all over the body. This is recommended as an integral part of the daily routine to all who wish good health and longevity of life. It is relaxing and refreshing full body massage with medicated herbal oils to take care of physical, mental, emotional well-being of the person while balancing the doshas.
Shirodhara is a traditional and a well-established ayurvedic procedure of slowly and steadily dripping medicated oil or other liquids on the forehead. This procedure induces a relaxed state of awareness that results in a dynamic psycho-somatic balance.
Pizhichil is a classic ayurvedic treatment involving soft massage of the whole body in streams of lukewarm medicated oils. Pizhichil treatment combines oil and heat therapy to improve blood circulation and eliminate ama or toxins from your body.
Shiro vasti is the procedure where medicated oil is retained on the head for a particular period. This treatment helps in treating paralysis, depression, anxiety and insomnia. This treatment helps cool the head and refresh the mind.
Lifestyle and Diet Practices
- Exercise: Exercise increases your overall health and your sense of well-being, which puts more pep in your step every day. Exercise can provide stress relief for your body while imitating effects of stress, such as the flight or fight response, and helping your body and its systems practice working together through those effects. This can also lead to positive effects in your body by helping protect your body from the harmful effects of stress.
- Sleep: Sleep is a powerful stress reducer. Following a regular sleep routine calms and restores the body, improves concentration, regulates mood, and sharpens judgment and decision-making. You are a better problem solver and are better able to cope with stress when you’re well-rested. Lack of sleep, on the other hand, reduces your energy and diminishes mental clarity.
- Diet: A healthy diet can lessen the effects of stress, build up your immune system, level your mood, and lower your blood pressure. Lots of added sugar and fat can have the opposite effect. And junk food can seem even more appealing when you’re under a lot of stress.
Ayurveda treatment for stress focuses on holistic healing. At Krishnendu Ayurveda, we have a very systematic approach in treating stress; we plan a customized treatment for each individual which is specific to their requirements and needs.
“The Procedure like Shashtika shali pinda Sweda, Matra Basti, Shiro Basti, Sarvanga Abhyanga helps in nerve strengthening and increases blood circulation of the affected part, that helps to fasten and progress the movements”.