Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) is becoming a common endocrine condition among young and middle aged women. Caused due to an imbalance in their hormones, PCOS can lead to irregular periods, obesity, sub-fertility or infertility, physical changes like hair loss, unwanted facial hair, and in the worst scenarios, diabetes and heart disease.
Tagged as a lifestyle disease, PCOS could be a resultant of stress and hormonal changes. Women diagnosed with this condition have small growths or cysts on their ovaries, referred to as PCOS. They are not harmful but could lead to further imbalances in your hormones and thus, early diagnosis and treatment is recommended.
According to Ayurveda it is believed that PCOS is caused due to the imbalance of vatta, pitta and kapha doshas. A healthy individual who has all three doshas in perfect harmony would be free from such lifestyle diseases. And to achieve the same, Ayurveda focuses on detoxifying the body to strengthen and revitalize the female reproductive system and at the same time regularize menstrual cycles. It also aims at rectifying the imbalance of hormones.
Ayurveda gives a unique therapy to each patient, based on their specific health needs because a particular type of treatment would not be effective on another. Thus, to manage the condition of PCOS, follow these easy Ayurveda recommended tips and remedies:
- Avoid eating heavily processed and preserved foods as it could lead to inflammation and insulin resistance. Consume more plant-based protein sources like whole grains, nuts and legumes. Also, iron rich food items like spinach, lentils and chickpeas can be consumed. An ideal meal would consist half a plate of low-starch vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, cucumber or carrots with a dash of coconut oil or olive oil, nuts and seeds; a handful of carbohydrate-dense whole foods like one white or sweet potato, oats or rice; and some protein-dense food like poultry, eggs and fish.
Ensure that you minimize the intake of dairy products but it is alright to have butter milk in moderate quantity.
- Follow a natural sleep pattern and restrict yourself from sleeping during day time or in the afternoon as it would interrupt your sleep cycle at night.
- Incorporate herbs that are known for its therapeutical properties such as:
- Ashwagandha – known to reduce stress and symptoms related to PCOS like mood swings.
- Tulsi – reduces blood sugar and cortisol levels while preventing weight gain.
- Licorice root – popular anti-inflammatory agent which helps in balancing hormones.
- Shatavari – an anti-oxidant rich herb that protects the female reproductive system and improves fertility.
- Turmeric – detoxifies the female reproductive system and helps the skin look flawless by removing acne, pigmentation and breakouts.
- Practice yogasanas like Naukasana, Bhadrasana, Shalabhasana, Sarvangasana, Bharadvajasana and Padmasana. You can also try Shankha Mudra and Vayu Mudra along with Nadi Shodhan Pranayama and Brahmri Pranayama.
- Indulge in Ayurvedic therapies like Basti, Virechan and Vaman to treat PCOS condition.
- Follow certain home remedies like consuming diluted ginger juice with four portions of lukewarm water.
Having cinnamon tea or cumin tea are also extremely beneficial. Add two tablespoons of cumin seeds to water and consume this mixture throughout the day.
Or mix half a cup of amla juice to one cup of water and drink this once every day to restore the hormonal balance in the body.
Consume a mixture of one teaspoon of cinnamon powder along with a tablespoon of honey once a day.