Sinusitis is the condition where the sinuses or the empty cavities within the facial bones are inflamed and blocked with mucus. It presents with headache, nasal congestion, discoloured nasal discharge, pain in the face, sore throat, etc. Causes that lead to sinus infection include common cold, allergic rhinitis, exposure to cold winds, regular consumption of cold foods, etc.
Ayurveda refers to sinusitis as Pinas and regards the aggravation of Kapha dosha to be the cause. Aggrvated Kapha dosha vitiates the Prana Vata that is a sub type of Vata dosha which is present in the respiratory tract and Shleshaka Kapha that is a sub dosha of Kapha which governs moisture balance and lubrication. This imbalance of sub doshas results in a toxic sticky mucus that settles and clogs the sinus channels.
Ayurvedic treatments for Sinusitis
Nasyam – It is the therapeutic administration of medicines through nostrils. This detoxification procedure in Panchakarma is highly advised for relieving sinusitis. The therapy helps clear and lubricate the nasal passages, while also allowing the medicine to reach all parts of the head and neck to treat various conditions pertaining to the region.
Dhoomapana – Inhaling medicated fumes is also considered beneficial for sinus congestion. Dhoomapana is also beneficial for preventing disorders occurring above the shoulders like rhinitis, tonsillitis, neck stiffness, etc.
Vamana – In this process of medicated emesis which is a part of Panchakarma, toxins from the body is eliminated through vomiting. Vamana is recommended for expelling aggravated Kapha dosha and thus is therapeutic for diseases caused by Kapha vitiation.
Jala Neti – Nasal cleansing with lukewarm water is an effective Yogic method to cure sinusitis, allergies, etc.
Pranayama – Breathing techniques like Kapalbhati Pranayama, Bhastrika Pranayama, Anulom Vilom, Suryabhedi Pranayama, etc, are also considered beneficial for sinusitis.
Natural home remedies for sinusitis
- Inhaling steam of eater boiled with tulsi leaves is helpful for acute sinusitis.
- Nasal steam inhalation using hot water with mint, eucalyptus oil or clove oil is also recommended. Also have a salt water gargle after it to clean the throat.
- Apply paste made with cinnamon powder and warm water on forehead and nose to remove congestion.
- Boil a glass of water with basil leaves, crushed pepper powder, sugar candy and ginger. When the mixture reduces to half, strain it and drink warm.
- Add 2 teaspoons of fenugreek seeds to 4 glasses of water and boil it until it reduces to half. Stain the mixture and drink warm.
Have a teaspoon of fresh ginger juice mixed with a teaspoon of honey twice daily.