Back pain can be linked to various conditions of the spinal cord and nerves, discs between the vertebrae, ligaments surrounding the spine and discs, lumbar muscles and internal organs in the abdomen and pelvic area. It may also be indicative of Cervical Spondylosis, Lumbar Spondylosis, Ankylosing Spondylosis, Sciatica, spinal cord infections or tumours that compress the spine and nerve roots. The most common causes of pain in the lower back are mainly due to sedentary lifestyle, obesity, stress and strenuous physical work.
Back pain in Ayurveda
Back pain is referred to as Nitambha Shoola or Kati Shoola in Ayurveda and Vata predominance is regarded as the cause for it. Balancing vitiated Vata is considered important in the line of treatment of back pain.
Ayurvedic therapies for back pain
- Kati Vasthi Luke warm medicated oil is retained on the lower back with the help of a circular receptacle made out of black gram dough in this therapy. The process helps relieve pain, stiffness and degenerative issues of the lower back while also being therapeutic for Sciatica, disc prolapse and lumbar spine injuries.
- Pizhichil – In Pizhichil or Sneha Dhara, warm medicated oil is continuously poured on the patient’s body for 45 to 60 minutes in different postures. It is an effective therapy for rejuvenation, improving blood circulation and reducing pain and inflammation. Pizhichil is highly recommended for lower back ache, neck pain and arthritis.
- Dhanyamla Dhara – Dhanyamlam is a decoction prepared with cereals, citrus fruits, Njavara rice, horse gram, etc. This decoction is poured in a continuous stream over the body during the Dhanyamla dhara therapy. It is indicated for reducing pain and inflammation while also improving blood circulation.
- Ela Kizhi – Boluses containing minced herbal leaves, coconut gratings and lemon warmed in oil are steamed and applied rhythmically all over the body for sudation. Ela Kizhi is advised for pain in the neck, back and joints.
- Vasthi – The purgative therapy of Vasthi is also recommended for lower back pain. A herbal enema made from a decoction of oils and medicines are administered through the rectum to cleanse the bowel.