Oily skin, breakouts, allergies and the main one among all, suntans! These skin issues are always tagged with summer season. With the brutal heat wave, pollution and hot wind during summer, you end up having troubles in maintaining a healthy and flawless skin. Follow the below mentioned ayurvedic tips and remedies, to get a flawless skin even in this summer season:
1. Avoid food like red chili peppers, vinegar, sour foods, fast food, salty food and alcohol that will increase Pitta dosha and heat your body. This helps in preventing damage to the skin and cools down the body.
2. Drink plenty of water and consumer water-rich fruits and vegetables like squashes, watermelon and cucumber to keep your skin hydrated.
3. Stay away from chemical-infused skincare products, artificial skin lotions, creams and soap as it directly aggravates Bhrajaka Pitta thereby, increasing your sensitivity to sun damage.
4. Apply a few drops of organic rosewater to a cotton pad and place them over your eyelids for a few minutes. Repeat this daily for a refreshing and cooling effect on eyes and to remove dark circles as well.
5. Applying juice from aloe-vera plant is considered as the best remedy for treating mild sunburn.
6. Mash watermelon into a paste and apply it on your face, except the area around the eyes. Leave it on for two or three minutes and rinse to cool and moisturize the skin. Watermelon hydrates your skin, tones and protects from sunburn.
7. Replace aerated and caffeinated drinks with coconut water, lemon juice, buttermilk, sugarcane juice, etc.
8. Use multanimitti face mask to improve the natural glow of the skin, remove dullness and de-tan. Combine milk with the pack for those with dry skin, honey for oily skin and water for normal skin.
9. Cleanse your skin using chickpea flour or rice flour for those with oily skin; ground almonds, oats and rose water for those with sensitive skin; and powdered neem leaves for acne-prone skin, to remove dirt and clogged pores. Also, avoid using soap on face as it makes your skin dry.
10. To reduce suntan, prepare a mixture of rosewater with gram flour or besan and apply it on your neck, face and arms for 20 minutes. Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
11. Dip a cotton pad in 1 tablespoon of milk and gently rub on your face. Leave this for 15 minutes and rinse it off with cold water. Raw milk is an excellent cleanser which will drive out all the dirt and toxins within clogged pores, preventing blackheads, acne and other skin diseases caused during summer.
12. Follow an Ayurveda recommended lifestyle that promotes healthy living including a balanced diet, sleep routine and exercise. Consume fresh fruits and vegetables, fruit juices and salads. Drink at least 8 to 12 glasses of water every day to eliminate toxins, aid digestion and to keep your body and skin hydrated.
Follow a proper sleep routine wherein you go to bed by 10pm and wake up by 6am ensuring that you get at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep daily. Exercise for at least 30 minutes to improve blood circulation in your body.
13. Practice calming yoga poses like Balasana, Savasana and Uttanasana and meditate daily. Yoga helps in keeping the skin young and glowing as it stimulates blood flow.
14. Apply a mixture of mashed papaya with some lemon juice on your face, leaving it on for 20 minutes and then rinse it off with water.
15. Indulge in abhyanga with sesame oil or organic coconut oil to lubricate the skin, cleanse the sweat glands, promote blood circulation and soothe the skin after a sunburn.