Rock salt is considered the purest form of salt – raw and unprocessed and free form chemicals. A favourite substitute for common salt during religious fasting rituals, rock salt is also a healthy replacement for table salt in cooking. Formed when salt water in large water bodies in inland areas is evaporated by sunlight, rock salt is a rich source of trace elements like potassium, iron, calcium, zinc, magnesium, etc. which are vital for health.
Ayurveda regards rock salt as a sattvic food which help nurture the spirit and also a cooling spice. Its cold potency and light and unctuous qualities is hailed as beneficial in balancing Pitta dosha, while also being tridoshic in balancing other doshas as well.
Health benefits of rock salt
Below listed are some of the health benefits offered by rock salt when included in daily diet.
- Improves digestion – A laxative in nature, rock salt promotes healthy digestion and aids appetite. It is also beneficial for reducing gas and acidity and for soothing heartburn. Replacing common salt with rock salt in cooking will help reduce digestive issues significantly.
- Reduces blood pressure – The rich potassium content in rock salt help stabilize blood pressure while also ensuring heart health.
- Boosts metabolism – It boosts metabolism and stimulates a healthy metabolic rate which helps maintain the ideal weight. It also aids in weight loss by equalizing the minerals which inhibit cravings.
Home remedies using rock salt
- Respiratory infections – Gargling warm water mixed with rock salt is beneficial for relieving throat pain and inflammation whopping cough and tonsils. Sinus and asthma can also be managed with rock salt water as it helps reduce inflammation of the respiratory organs.
- Pain relief – From joint aches to pains associated with arthritis, rock salt helps relieve pain in different parts of the body. Drinking warm water mixed with rock salt will provide relief from muscle cramps and reduces inflammation in the body.
- Deworming – Taking rock salt along with lemon juice help eliminate stomach worms and also controls vomiting. Relief against influenza is another added benefit.
- Oral care – One of the most common ingredient used for oral hygiene since centuries, rock salt is also hailed as a mouth freshener and a teeth whitener. Using warm water that has rock dissolved in it helps reduce gum inflammation and soothes pain in the tooth cavity.
- Skin care – The cleansing and detoxifying properties make rock salt an ideal ingredient for skin care. When used as a bath scrub, it can exfoliate the dead skin cells and cleanse the skin. Rock salt is also useful for removing yellowness under the nails.
- Hair care – Rock salt can be used as a hair cleanser to remove dead skin from the scalp without reducing the natural oil secreted by the scalp. Washing hair using shampoo mixed with rock salt will help strengthen hair and add volume.