Stiffness or pain in the neck is characterized by soreness or difficulty in moving the head. Many experience neck pain from continuous sitting focused on the computer monitor and incorrect sitting or lying postures. The most common instance of neck pain appears upon waking up in the morning where the stiffness occurs overnight due to incorrect sleeping position or use of a hard or thick pillow. Chronic neck pain is also a risk factor for Cervical Spondylosis, osteoporosis, disk herniation, muscle sprain or spasm, etc.
Stiff neck in Ayurveda
Stiffness in neck has been referred to as Manyagata Vata in Ayurveda. It is caused by aggravated Vata dosha that is lodged in the cervical or neck region. Management of neck stiffness include bringing down the vitiated Vata and reducing strain to the cervical region.
Ayurvedic therapies for neck stiffness
The ayurvedic treatment for neck pain or stiffness is being decided after confirming the root cause of it. The Ayurveda specialist diagnoses and then tailors the ayurvedic treatment plans for the patient. Some of the ayurvedic therapies for neck stiffness are:
- Greeva Vasti – The process of applying heat to the cervical region by retaining lukewarm medicated with the help of a receptacle made of black gram dough. It is considered highly therapeutic for conditions like Cervical Spondylosis, stiff neck, disc prolapse, etc.
- Abhyangam – The classic Ayurvedic massage using warm medicated oils is advised for pain and stiffness in the body. It rejuvenates the strained muscles while also providing deep relaxation.
- Nasyam – Therapeutic administration of medicines through the nasal passages is also considered effective for neck pain and Cervical Spondylosis.
- Njavara Kizhi – The therapy includes fomentation of the body with boluses of special rice cooked in milk and herbal decoctions. Effective for reducing pain and inflammation in the body, the process is advised for neck pain.
- Pizhichil – Warm medicated oil is continuously poured on the body along with gentle massages. Recommended for rejuvenation and reducing pain and inflammation, the therapy is effective for neck pain too.
Treatments are recommended according to the symptoms and as per the requirements there are some common Ayurveda treatment for neck pain and also some diet practices in Ayurveda which can also help the patients to provide some relief and control from neck pain. For more details, Click here