Nasal congestion is a condition where there is an excess mucus build up in the nasal passages that causes obstruction in breathing. Stuffed nose can occur due to the inflammation of blood vessels in the nostrils and can be triggered by allergies, sinus infection, flu and environmental factors.
Below listed are Ayurvedic home remedies for relief from nasal congestion.
- Steam inhalation – Inhaling steam of hot medicinal decoctions have been termed the most effective way to get rid of nasal congestion. Boil water with tulsi leaves and inhale the steam for quick relief or add essential oils of eucalyptus or clove in hot water to use its medicinal value to clear blocked nasal passages.
- Turmeric and ginger – The anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric and ginger help loosen mucus and relieve sinus pressure. Drink hot herbal tea made with turmeric and ginger for clearing nasal congestion.
- Saline rinse – Nasal irrigation helps ease the elimination of mucus from the nasal passages. Use a neti pot to rinse your nose with lukewarm salt water for relief from stuffed nose and irritation.
- Fenugreek seeds – Anti-inflammatory properties make fenugreek seeds therapeutic for nasal congestion. Boil 4 glasses of water with 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds until it is reduced to half. Stain the water and drink it while it is still warm to relieve stuffed nose.
- Garlic – Garlic is also considered one of the best home remedies for nasal congestion due to its pungent odour and the presence of component with decongestant properties. Simply crush 3-4 garlic cloves and sniff them or eat a few garlic cloves twice a day for quick relief from stuffed nose.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of crushed garlic, 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and 2 spoons of honey and have it once or twice daily.
- Boil a glass of water with basil leaves, crushed pepper powder, sugar candy and ginger. When the mixture reduces to half, strain it and drink warm.
- Mix 2 or 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a cup of hot water and sip it throughout the day for thinning out excess mucus and relieving congestion.