We have adapted ourselves to this fast paced life that comes with stress and strain. With such a lifestyle came various forms of mental tensions and depression being the most common one. Expressed through emotions like frequent sadness, anxiety, loss of interest, irritability, worthlessness, hopelessness or loss of appetite, decline in job performance, poor concentration level and insomnia, this mental illness, if not taken care in its initial stages, could become a matter of concern in the long run.
According to Ayurveda, depression or Mano Avasad can be caused due to an imbalance in psychic energies like sattva, rajas and tamas which is supported by an imbalance of physical energies like vata, pitta and kapha doshas. External factors like stress and living environment can also contribute to this illness. To overcome this, Ayurveda recommends people to take up therapies, make lifestyle adjustments and consume herbal preparations and healthy diet.
Below mentioned are some of the key Ayurvedic tips and remedies to get over the depressive illness:
- Change your food habits and addictions and follow a healthy diet. Maintain a discipline in life, be it regarding your eating habits or in your lifestyle. This is proven to bring a significant change in overcoming such psychiatric disorders.
- Follow a strict routine which involves avoiding late nights and waking up early in the morning, indulging in some refreshing physical exercises or activities. It is advised to go to bed before 10pm in order to get a peaceful sleep and wake up by 6am. You can also take part in mind games or outdoor activities to keep the mind in a positive state. Exercising or physical activities help release positive neurohormones that are responsible in elevating a person’s mood and positive thoughts.
- Consume green leafy vegetables, seasonal fruits and other food items like milk, walnut, clove, pear, raisins and dates. Ensure that you have food in a relaxed environment and happy mental state.
- Practice yogasanas like Balasana, Sethu Bandhasana, Urdhva Mukha Svanasana, Adho Mukha Svanasana, Uttanasana, Savasana and Halasana to enhance digestion, clear your inner channels, cleanse out toxins and to improve the overall balance and health of the body and mind.
- Include herbs like Ashwagandha, Brahmi, mint leaves or Pudina and Shankhpushpi to relieve mental stress, balance out mood swings, increase focus and concentration and also to restore normal physiological functioning.
- Mix a teaspoon of ashwagandha powder with one spoon of pure ghee. Consuming this is found to be effective in treating depression.
- Add equal quantities of celery seeds, green cardamom powder, rose petals and cinnamon powder to one glassful of water. Boil it for 20 to 30 minutes and strain it. Add half a teaspoon of powdered rock candy and let it cool. Drink this lukewarm for twice a day to relieve from depression.
- Consume one teaspoon of powdered licorice root with water on an empty stomach in the morning. This is considered as a Medhya Rasayana or mind rejuvenator in Ayurveda.
- Prepare tea with tulsi and sage. Add ¼ teaspoon of tulsi and ½ teaspoon of sage for one cup of hot water. Drink this twice a day for optimum results.