Conjunctivitis or Pink eye is an inflammation of the conjunctiva (the thin transparent membrane covering the front of the eye), characterized by redness, itching, and pain, also often accompanied by a discharge of a sticky fluid. Usually not serious, conjunctivitis goes away in few days with some effective home remedies that will be helpful to soothe and reduce the trouble associated with it.
Below given are few proven, effective home remedies to bring down the pain and infection from conjunctivitis –
EFFECTIVE HOME REMEDIES
1. Avoid direct contact. If effected avoid traveling and exposure to sunlight. Keep your body hydrated – Intake a lot of fluids.
2. Add 3 tablespoon of honey to two cups of Luke warm water. Mix well and allow it to cool. Wash your eyes with this mixture twice a day.
3. Boil coriander leaves or seeds in 250 ml of water. Strain the water and let it cool. Wash the infected eye with this mixture.
4. Mix one cup of juice of Indian gooseberry and two teaspoons of honey. Have it twice a day.
5. Slice a potato and place it on the infected area several times a day. It reduces the swelling and helps you in reducing the pain.
6. Soak 5-10 Tulsi leaves in lukewarm water. Use this to wash your eyes as it will soothe and reduce your pain and inflammations.
7. Mix equal amount of milk and honey. Milk should be warm not boiled. Keep mixing till honey almost properly gets mixed up with milk. You can use an eyedropper. Put 3-4 drops in your eyes every day.
DIET AND OTHER REGIMEN
1. Hot, oily, spicy and hard to digest foods should be avoided as they may worsen the condition by producing more inflammation. Sour substances should also be avoided.
2. Fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables in your diet should be increased as these have a cooling effect on the body.
Please understand that these home remedies are for relief and alleviating the pain, which also helps in bringing down the infection rate. However, if the symptoms persist even after 24 hours, it would be advisable to consult an Ayurveda physician at the earliest.