According to Ayurveda, Monsoon season is characterized by the aggravation of Vata dosha which leads to many health problems.
Below given are few simple Tips to Balance Doshas & Stay Healthy during the Monsoon Season –
- Have a light and fresh foods prepared from barley, rice, and wheat.
- Practice having a small piece of ginger with rock salt before every meal.
- Having boiled and cooled water with honey is recommended.
- Green Gram Lentil (Moong Dal) is the most easily digestible.
- Avoid processed, fried, spicy and oily foods since it causes indigestion and bloating. Steamed and well-cooked food is recommended during the rainy season. Vegetables recommended during the monsoon are mostly the non-leafy ones such as gourd, bitter gourd, snake gourd, pointed gourd, yam, sweet potato, brinjal, pumpkin and cluster beans. Also, its ideal to reduce the intake of non-vegetarian foods. When it comes to fruits, its advisable to stick to seasonal fruits rather than non-seasonal ones since the latter may get infested with worms during the monsoons. It’s good to have bananas, pomegranates, peaches, plums, apples, cherries, litchis, etc.
- Navara rice popularly known as the rice with a wide range of benefits is advisable during the monsoon. The rice is used for Ayurveda specialty treatments as well. Having Karkidaka kanji, a type of Rice gruel prepared of Navara rice and few herbs during the monsoon season increases immunity and helps in preventing various diseases.
- Using spices like pepper, ginger, asafoetida, garlic, turmeric and coriander in cooking will help enhance digestion and strengthen digestive fire. Having Amla juice daily helps in improving the immunity.
- A small amount of Ghee made from cow’s milk is recommended during the Monsoon since it helps in digestion and boosts immunity.
- Practice light exercises like yoga and walking during this season. But keep it a habit that you practice this regularly. Strictly avoid sleeping during the daytime.
- It’s advisable to do Panchakarma Ayurvedic Therapy since it helps in detoxifying the body and trigger the healing process. Also, undergoing Ayurveda treatment like Basti during the Monsoon season will help avoid the aggravation of Vata dosha.