Gastritis refers to the inflammation of the mucous lining of the stomach. The condition can impair the secretion of digestive enzymes by the glands of the stomach and cause indigestion. Excessive consumption of alcohol, sour and spicy foods and white flour products are considered to be the root causes. Stress, anger and heat exposure are also believed to aggravate the condition.
Symptoms of gastritis
- Abdominal pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Loss of appetite
- Burping and hiccups
- Bad taste in mouth and coated tongue
- Scanty urination
- Dark stools
Ayurveda and Gastritis
In Ayurveda, gastritis is known as Urdhva Amlapitta, where in amla means sour and Pitta refers to the doshic imbalance involved. Pitta dosha rests in the stomach and governs the digestive fire and when it is aggravated due to improper dietary habits, it impairs the digestion process, causes production of toxins and over-secretion of digestive enzymes which leads to Gastritis.
Ayurvedic management of Gastritis includes restoring the digestive fire with the help of a Pitta-pacifying diet and cooling herbal and medicinal preparations. Ayurvedic therapies for reducing stress and tension are also recommended for the condition.
Ayurvedic diet and lifestyle advice
- Intermittent fasting is helpful in rejuvenating the digestive system.
- Drink at least 8-9 glasses of water daily to relax the stomach and flush out the toxins.
- Warm water and juicy fruits like grapes, apples, oranges, water melons, should be eaten more.
- Avoid coffee and carbonated or alcoholic drinks.
- Stay away from fermented and processed foods.
- Avoid sour, salty and spicy foods and rich gravies.
- Regular exercise and Pranayama is helpful.
Home remedies for gastritis
- Mix half a gram of long pepper powder with one spoon of honey and have it twice a day for relief from gastritis.
- Chew small pieces of ginger with salt before every meal to reduce the uneasiness from gastritis.
- To a glass of buttermilk, mix roasted cumin seed powder and dried ginger powder and drink it with breakfast and lunch.
- Mix one tablespoon of Triphala powder in a glass of water, boil it, reduce it to half a glass and filter. Add one tablespoon of honey or ghee to the hot decoction and drink to relieve gastritis.
- Boil water with crushed cumin seeds and filter it. Drink this water every day instead of normal water. Also, it is advised to only drink fresh preparation of this water every day.